-
Teachers in England ‘should pick vulnerable pupils for early return’

Leading scientist says schools should let staff decide rather than bringing back entire year groups
Schools should let teachers select additional vulnerable pupils for an early return to classrooms to increase numbers gradually, a leading scientist has said as the children’s commissioner demanded a roadmap for full reopening.
In an interview with the Guardian, the president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, Prof Russell Viner, said any increase in pupil numbers in England’s schools would depend on infection rates and demand on NHS services.
But when safe to do so, vulnerable children currently not attending school could be prioritised for a return to the classroom, he said, rather than the reintroduction of entire year groups which would have a greater impact on Covid transmission rates.
About 14% of pupils in England are currently getting in-person teaching, including children of key workers and the most vulnerable pupils, amid closures planned until February half-term.
But with the government declining to guarantee that schools will reopen even after Easter in April, many in the sector are arguing for a phased return, with early years, primary and exam years among groups likely to be considered first, and with rota systems in secondary schools to limit transmission.
Viner said: “We could look at a gradual increase in school attendance, starting with more vulnerable children and those coming to harm at home. If we asked every teacher, most would be able to identify five children doing less well at home. We may have some room to bring those children back into school before we open up to whole years.”
The call came as the children’s commissioner for England, Anne Longfield, urged Boris Johnson to set out key criteria that need to be met for schools to safely reopen, and what additional measures may be necessary in schools, such as testing or staff vaccinations, to suppress the virus.
“Unfortunately, it is much easier to close schools than to reopen them,” she wrote in a letter to the prime minister. “That is why we are calling on the government to produce a clear roadmap for reopening schools to all pupils. Without it, there is a risk that the status quo becomes embedded as a default position.”
In further pressure on Johnson, the Times reported that Public Health England has concluded primary schools can safely reopen after half-term if cases keep falling. It said a series of studies had concluded that pupils in that age group play a small role in spreading infection.
Earlier, Downing Street indicated that schools in England are not expected to start fully reopening until at least early March. The government has promised to reassess lockdown measures on 15 February, and Johnson’s spokesperson said this would be the point at which the evidence would be examined to see if any easing could take place.
The comments came after the prime minister said he would examine “the potential of relaxing some measures” connected to lockdown once the top four categories of vulnerable adults had had their first Covid vaccination, due to happen by mid-February.
Labour accused the prime minister of causing further confusion over when schools will reopen and called on the government to guarantee that schools and colleges will be first to reopen when lockdown eases.
Speaking ahead of an urgent question in the Commons on Tuesday, shadow schools minister Wes Streeting said: “Labour has been clear that safeguarding our children’s education must be the top priority: that means schools must be the last to close and first to reopen.
“The government should be working with education staff to develop a credible plan to get pupils back to schools and colleges safely as soon as possible.”
Longfield said children and families had been left “stunned” by the apparent unravelling of return plans, and called on the government to have more ambition and not to be “defeatist”.
She said it seemed more manageable for primary children to return to school and there was a strong argument for children to go back in stages. “There’s the potential to have some blended learning so children can learn at home for half the week, but children need that sense that actually there’s an end to this and they can start to get their lives back.”
A Mumsnet survey of 1,000 UK parents of school-age children found that 62% were in favour of primary children and those in exam years returning to school after February half-term. Three-quarters said school lockdowns were harming their child’s education, and 73% of those doing home-schooling said their child was more demotivated and disengaged than usual.
The Mumsnet founder, Justine Roberts, said: “Most parents accept that the national situation demands restrictions on school attendance, but the impacts on parents and children are serious. Working mothers in particular are really struggling, and worrying about their own future in the workplace as well as children’s education and wellbeing.”
New research into remote education by the schools watchdog Ofsted raised concerns about pupil motivation, with nearly half of parents who took part in the survey struggling to keep children focused. Almost two-thirds of parents of pupils with special educational needs said their children were disengaged from remote learning.
source: Sally Weale
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!