-
Boris Johnson urged to allow children to play together in England

Under-5s exempt from two-person Covid rule, but children aged 5-11 are being discriminated against, say lawyers
The ban on children playing together outdoors in England must be lifted as it is discriminatory and potentially unlawful, lawyers and children’s groups have said.
In a letter to Boris Johnson in the week that schools were allowed to reopen, family groups reported signs of mental distress and poor health among young children who have missed playing and socialising.
Since 6 January across England, and last year in places under tier 3 rules, the law has stated that only two individuals can meet from different households. Under-fives are exempt but campaigners say that children aged five to 11, who are not old enough to meet a friend alone, have been severely affected by the rules.
Jennifer Twite, of Just for Kids Law, said the rules were challengeable under the Equality Act 2010 and the European convention on human rights.
“The current guidance in England unfairly discriminates against children and disproportionately impacts single parents. Under the one-to-one rule, adults and older children have been able to meet a friend for exercise if they can do so alone but this leaves children who are over five unable to see anyone. This leaves single parents, who are more likely to be women, also unable to take advantage of the rule because they can’t bring their children if they meet another adult.”
Government guidelines have also stressed that playgrounds, while open, must not be used for socialising.
In a letter to the prime minister, the groups Just for Kids Law, Playing Out and Play England point to the rules in Scotland that have always allowed under-12s to mix with friends outdoors. On Monday, Nicola Sturgeon relaxed rules specifically for teenagers so they can meet in groups of four.
Ingrid Skeels is co-director of the group Playing Out in Bristol. She said the rules needed to be changed urgently, not at the end of March. “Every day counts and the current ban gives a wrong and fearful message that outdoor play and socialising isn’t safe. “
She said the group had heard from many parents who have been too afraid of being fined or told off for breaking rules to take their children outside.
“The government has never clarified that play is exercise. We know from speaking to families this had a very bad impact and we have seen that the families most fearful of breaking the rules are the most disadvantaged ones.”
Alex Foy lives in a flat in south London and said she felt she should be keeping her son, Jamie, at home as much as possible.
“The rules made it clear we should stay indoors. I know a walk is acceptable but kids need other kids. Taking him to the park without other children made him even more disheartened and lonely so we avoided it. We did our exercises running up and down the stairs in our flats most days. He was a brave boy but he is a sociable child and he really suffered, he became withdrawn and looked unwell.
“He was so excited for school but school isn’t play. He urgently needs to just be himself in a space with other children he cares about.”
Daisy Peters, a single mother in Devon, added her views to the letter, saying: “My five-year-old is an only child and she has been badly affected by lack of socialising. Her behaviour has become challenging, she is far less cheerful. Her sleep has also become disturbed.”

Shani, a project worker in Bristol, contacted Playing Out because she was so concerned about the impact the rules were having on local families.
“Children have been very subdued with us, many have barely been leaving the house because their parents felt it wasn’t allowed. We fear what we are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg.”
A government spokesperson said: “We prioritised the physical, mental and emotional wellbeing of young people and made opening schools the first step as we cautiously ease out of lockdown. Schools and after-school clubs are now open.
“We fully recognise the importance of exercise to children and know that the risk of transmission is greater indoors than outdoors, which is why playgrounds have also remained open.”
Last month ministers were forced to backtrack over guidance that stated only children without gardens could use playgrounds, after an incident where children were told to go home by police while building a snowman.
source: Harriet Grant
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!