-
Northern Ireland police say paramilitaries not behind recent violence

Loyalist umbrella group denies involvement, as missiles thrown at police and car set on fire in eighth night of unrest
The involvement of loyalist paramilitary groups in orchestrating the violence in Northern Ireland has been ruled out by police as the number of officers injured rose to 74.
On Friday night, police were again attacked with missiles and a car was set on fire as small pockets of unrest flared.
The latest assessment by the Police Service of Northern Ireland came after a statement issued by the Loyalist Communities Council (LCC), an umbrella group representing loyalist paramilitaries seeking an end to the violence.
“The LCC can confirm that none of their associated groups have been involved either directly or indirectly in the violence witnessed in recent days,” it said.
But the LCC said there had been a “spectacular collective failure” to understand their anger over Brexit and other issues, and the border protocol must be renegotiated. Critics of the departure deal’s Northern Ireland protocol say a border is in effect in the Irish Sea, leaving unionists feeling betrayed.
“We have repeatedly urged HM Government, political leaders and Institutions to take seriously our warnings of the dangerous consequences of imposing this hard border on us and the need for earnest dialogue to resolve matters. We reiterate that message now,” the LCC said.
In a detailed update on the tumultuous week, Northern Ireland’s assistant chief constable, Jonathan Roberts, revealed that a further 19 officers and one of the service’s dogs had been hurt during disturbances on Thursday, the seventh night of unrest.
Police used water cannon for the first time in six years after dozens of young people on the nationalist side of the peace line ignored a warning to disperse and continued to throw stones, bottles and fireworks.
On Friday night, PSNI officers at Tiger Bay, a loyalist area in north Belfast came under attack, with missiles such as stones and bottles thrown at them. A car was set on fire and there were reports of petrol bombs being used. There were also reports that stones were also thrown at police in the nearby, nationalist area New Lodge.
PSNI Ch Supt Muir Clarke said: “We would appeal for calm in the area and ask anyone who has any influence in communities, please use that influence to ensure young people do not get caught up in criminality and that they are kept safe and away from harm tonight.”
There were sporadic incidents of unrest elsewhere in Northern Ireland on Friday evening, with reports of a road blocked off with a barricade which was then set alight in Coleraine, Co Derry.
The police’s assessment that paramilitaries were not involved marks a shift in opinion from earlier in the week when there were suspicions that loyalist extremists could be operating behind the scenes. On Thursday, Roberts said it was “clear there was a degree of organisation” to the violence.
However, the PSNI appeared to backtrack on that position when asked on Friday about the LCC statement. “It’s our overall assessment that the violence that has taken place over the last few nights is not orchestrated by a group, in the name of that group,” it said.
“We feel that there may be some people who could have connection to proscribed organisations, who have been present on the scenes of violence. But we don’t believe it’s been sanctioned and organised by prescribed organisations for peaceful protests,” Roberts said.
Hopes were raised that the worst of the violence was over with social media reports that protests were being cancelled over the weekend as a mark of respect for the Duke of Edinburgh.
The Democratic Unionist MP for Belfast East, Gavin Robinson, said he was encouraged to see calls for planned protests to be cancelled as “even with peaceful intent … nothing should besmirch his memory”.
https://twitter.com/GRobinsonDUP/status/1380495187533791232
Meanwhile, moves to bridge the political gap that has opened up in recent months over Brexit and policing continued when the Northern Ireland secretary, Brandon Lewis, met Stormont political parties in emergency talks.
No statement was expected because of the death of Prince Philip. One source said it was a “listening exercise” but nothing more had been expected.
Meanwhile, two men are due to appear in court on Saturday after being charged in connection with the rioting that took place in Lanark Way, west Belfast on Thursday night. Detectives investigating the disorder have charged a 24-year-old man and a 32-year-old man with riot. The 32-year-old was also charged with possession of a petrol bomb in suspicious circumstances. They are due to appear before Belfast magistrates court at about 10.30am.
source: Lisa O'Carroll
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!