-
Priti Patel wanted police to stop people gathering at Sarah Everard vigil

Exclusive: some police chiefs feel ‘hung out to dry’ as memo reveals home secretary’s enforcement call
For a few hours at least last Sunday, the Metropolitan police and their embattled commissioner appeared on the brink. Assailed from all sides over their handling of the Sarah Everard vigil on Clapham Common, there seemed every chance Dame Cressida Dick would have to quit the force she has been in charge of since 2017.
Instead she survived, as the Home Office and then Downing Street eventually signalled they retained confidence in her, despite the disturbing scenes of her officers manhandling women.
But the support she received from the home secretary, Priti Patel, raised questions about what role, if any, Patel played behind the scenes before the vigil on Saturday evening. A memo leaked to the Guardian offers some clues.
On Friday as the police and the vigil’s organisers were heading to court over the legality of such an event, a message was sent to all police chiefs making Patel’s position clear. She wanted them to stop people gathering at vigils. She also promised she would personally urge people not to gather – but she never did.
Though the police are operationally independent, the home secretary had made her views clear, which made her criticisms of the way officers broke up the Clapham event particularly galling, according to some police chiefs who spoke to the Guardian.
As a result, some chiefs feel policing was “hung out to dry” when Patel criticised pictures of officers manhandling women at the vigil, rebuked the Met commissioner and ordered an inquiry.
One chief constable said the message from Patel and the government before the vigil had been clear, that a ban on gatherings had to be enforced.
Tensions are now running high between police and ministers. A government source hit back at any complaints from within policing, saying that “pinning women to the floor and dragging them away from Clapham Common bandstand was an independent operational decision” made by the police themselves.
Police chiefs and the policing minister, Kit Malthouse, held a meeting on Friday morning last week in which he supported a ban on the vigil and others planned around the country. Following those discussions, a memo was sent to all police chiefs in England from Operation Talla, the codename for the national police coordination effort for the Covid pandemic.
The Guardian has learned what the document said and how it revealed what police feel Patel expected them to do if people gathered to mourn the 33-year-old marketing executive.
Entitled “Vigils following the murder investigation of Sarah Everard”, it begins “Dear Chief constables” and advises “early engagement” with the organisers of the planned vigils.
The document from the National Police Chiefs’ Council goes on: “We understand the strength of feeling. Covid regulations do not permit large gatherings. This issue has been discussed with the policing minister this morning who is supportive of our position. In support of this, the home secretary will also be issuing a message to the public later today that will discourage people gathering in person.”
The document states what police were expected to do, having declared that this position had government support. It says: “People should conduct their vigil using alternative means and in accordance with the law. Police must take a consistent approach and cannot waive the regulations for any one type of gathering.”
Senior policing sources say there was no doubt of what the government wanted to be done as forces wrestled with how to act. One chief said: “Chiefs would have thought there was a clear understanding that the government was requiring us to enforce the regulations.”
What ministers saw unfold on Saturday, however, was beyond their expectations. Patel tweeted comments saying the scenes of women being dragged off by male police officers were “upsetting”. She demanded a report and then on Sunday is said to have given Dick a dressing down, saying her explanation was unsatisfactory and ordering an inquiry.
https://twitter.com/pritipatel/status/1370856092062912512
On Sunday the Home Office released a statement that said: “The home secretary has read the report provided by the Metropolitan police and feels there are still questions to be answered. In the interests of ensuring public confidence in the police, earlier this afternoon the home secretary asked Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary to conduct a ‘lessons learned’ review into the policing of the event at Clapham Common.”
HMIC is a policing watchdog that independently assesses the effectiveness and efficiency of police forces. The inquiry will be led by Matt Parr and is due within a fortnight. He authored a controversial report on protest published last week.
Later on Sunday, Patel let it be known she had “full confidence” in the commissioner, which followed a similar declaration from the prime minister. Then on Monday Patel appeared in the Commons and told MPs she had been in contact with police before the vigils, especially Dick, but would only say she had said laying flowers at vigils would be permissible.
It was not the full backing police had hoped for. Another source said the condemnation by Patel after the clashes had angered police. “The line from them was the law is the law. Chiefs believed that there was agreement that there would not be gatherings and no special favours and that the home secretary would say something on Friday or Saturday,” they said.
“She reneged on an undertaking given to them
A Whitehall source defended Patel. “Of course the government will believe the law should be enforced. How it is enforced is a matter for the police,” they said. “As the government’s statement made clear the vigil was not able to go ahead within the confines of Covid regulations and we encouraged people to participate in the vigil whilst respecting the guidelines.
“The decision to start pinning women to the floor and dragging them away from Clapham Common bandstand was an independent operational decision made by them, for which they will have to explain to the inspectorate.”
The Met said it only acted at Clapham Common when the crowds became dense and it believed Covid rules were being breached.
Patel’s sympathy for the women at the vigil was undermined by her own legislative agenda. The government’s police, crime, sentencing and courts bill was voted through its second reading in parliament, moving it a step closer to becoming law this week.
The bill contains measures that significantly increase the powers police have to deal with protests. Critics, including women who attended the Clapham Common vigil, fear it will curtail the right to protest.
On Monday night, after Patel’s appearance in the Commons, further protests over the bill, entwined with action in response to the death of Everard, took place in central London.
In response, the government suggested plainclothes police officers could patrol bars and nightclubs around the country and pledged to double funding to the Safer Streets fund in an effort to take “immediate steps to provide further reassurance” for women and girls.
Meanwhile, the Met continued to say it understood that its actions had upset people but would not apologise. The force’s deputy commissioner, Sir Stephen House, told the London assembly he “can’t apologise for my officers” over their handling of the vigil.
Despite facing calls for her resignation, Dick remains in place. A Whitehall source said she had a “good working relationship” with the home secretary.
source: Vikram Dodd
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!