-
Religious leaders and politicians call for calm in Batley cartoon row

Small group gathers to protest for second day over teacher’s use of cartoon depicting prophet Muhammad
The row over a teacher’s use of an offensive cartoon depicting the prophet Muhammad is being exploited by parties on both sides, and by the education secretary, Gavin Williamson, according to politicians and religious leaders who have appealed for calm.
For a second day, a small group of protesters gathered outside Batley grammar school in West Yorkshire on Friday, with more members of the media than public in attendance after the school announced it would be closed and pupils would be taught remotely.
Sayeeda Warsi, the former Conservative cabinet minister, told the BBC: “Unfortunately, this matter has been hijacked by extremists on both sides to kind of create this culture war. What we’re forgetting is the most important party in all of this, which is the kids and their learning.”
Lady Warsi said she had been in contact with parents at the school, and added: “It’s obvious that many pupils were left distressed because of what happened.”
The Islamic Human Rights Commission, a London-based advocacy group, asked Williamson to retract his statements, saying that he “effectively accuses concerned parents of violence against the school and making threats”.
“Neither of these claims seems substantiated by video footage of the parents’ protest outside the school,” the IHRC said. “These claims firstly distract from the core issue – what appears to be a deliberate racist and humiliating provocation by a teacher against Muslim pupils. Secondly, they demonise Muslim parents, students and the community in general.”
Williamson made headlines after adding his name to comments issued by the Department for Education, saying: “It is never acceptable to threaten or intimidate teachers ... the nature of protest we have seen, including issuing threats and in violation of coronavirus restrictions are completely unacceptable and must be brought to an end.”
Some of the demonstrators insisted they would continue to protest until the school’s religious studies teacher responsible for showing the cartoon to a Year 9 class was sacked. Both the school and the teacher have apologised to parents, with the teacher being suspended since the controversy emerged on Thursday.
The protests have passed off peacefully on both days, with no arrests made or fines issued by West Yorkshire police in attendance.
Kate Green, Labour’s shadow education secretary, gave an implied rebuke to Williamson when she praised the school’s reaction to the protests and said the wellbeing of pupils was paramount.
“I welcome the school’s swift response to this and now appeal to everyone to work together and calm the situation,” Green said.
“There can be no excuse for intimidation of teachers. The most important thing now is that conversations between the school, parents and the local community proceed in a constructive manner. The wellbeing and education of children must be put first following the disruption of the pandemic.
“I’m pleased conversations are taking place so in future teaching of these subjects can be done in a respectful manner.”
Qari Asim, imam at Makkah Mosque in Leeds and chair of the mosques and imams national advisory board, called for the protests to end while discussions were ongoing with the school. “We do not want to fan the flames of Islamophobia in all of this,” he said.
Tracy Brabin, the Labour MP for Batley and Spen, said: “Those who seek to fan the flames of this incident will only provoke hate and division in our community and I would encourage all involved to work together and calm the situation.”
Messages from parents shared with the Guardian suggest the image displayed in the religious studies lesson on Monday included a cartoon showing the prophet wearing a turban in the shape of a bomb.
Muslim leaders said if that was the case, it took the issue beyond a theological discussion about the prohibition of depictions of the Prophet Muhammad, and into the realms of Islamophobia by equating Islam with terrorism.
Parents of children in the class said that the teacher did explain the context of the cartoon and the controversy it caused, as well as the subsequent violent attacks on the offices of the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine.
The Muslim Council of Britain said: “Reports suggest the image shown to students was one that depicted the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wearing a turban with a bomb in it – an extremely offensive image that plays into the Islamophobic trope of Muslims and/or Islam being synonymous with terrorism, and Muslims having a unique penchant for violence.
“According to parents at the school, the cartoons created a hostile atmosphere and led to Islamophobic discourse and language. We all want our schools to be inclusive spaces that foster a productive learning environment – an increase in Islamophobic discourse within a school setting cannot be deemed as acceptable.”
Geoff Barton, general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, said: “The school and member of staff concerned have apologised for the use of the resource in question, and the school is initiating an independent formal investigation. It should now be allowed to follow this process without a running commentary in the media, on social media, and outside the school gates.”
source: Richard Adams
Levant
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!