-
Russian embassy in Syria's Twitter account suspended after posting White Helmets 'fake news'

Russian embassy in Syria's Twitter account suspended after posting White Helmets 'fake news'
The Russian embassy in Syria’s account on Twitter has been suspended by the social media company after it posted claims “White Helmet” civil defence rescuers were faking images of bombings.
The embassy claimed that news of an air strike on a vegetable market in the Maarat al-Numan neighbourhood of rebel-held Idlib, which left at least 38 civilians dead and 100 wounded, was fabricated and that the market was still intact.
“Twitter suspends accounts that violate Twitter rules,” the default notice on the page of @RusEmbSyria reads without elaborating.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Moscow has yet to offer an official statement, however the Russian embassy in South Africa called Twitter “thought police” for banning the account.
The embassy claimed the account was suspended after posting “factual criticism of the White Helmets, quoting the Russian military.”
Earlier, the defence ministry posted on its Twitter page a video it claimed proved the market in Maarat al-Numan was "undamaged and fully operational".
Hamish de Bretton-Gordon, director of Doctors Under Fire organisation, who has been in Idlib for the last week training doctors, said Russian claims there had been no attack on Maarat al-Numan were “lies”.
“We were at a hospital receiving patients from that attack. Casualties were being brought from there, many of whom very badly injured children,” he told the Telegraph. “There is no doubt that this bombing happened and that it claimed many lives.”
The White Helmets, officially known as the Syria Civil Defence, is a humanitarian organisation made up of 3,400 volunteers, operating in opposition-held areas. It is credited with saving the lives of thousands and has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.
The organisation, which receives charitable funding from the US, the UK, and other western governments, has been the target of a considerable disinformation campaign by supporters of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and Russian-sponsored media organisations such as RT.
Conspiracy theorists claim the White Helmets’ rescues are staged and accuse them of working with jihadist groups operating in rebel areas; however, the group has a policy of neutrality.
“White Helmets is a pseudo humanitarian organisation created by Western intelligence agencies in Syria: abetting terrorists, staging chemical attacks, killing civilians, including children, organ trafficking,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs tweeted on Monday. The tweet was shared by RT.
Russia is currently supporting the Syrian government’s offensive on Idlib, the rebels’ last-remaining stronghold in the northwest. Some three million people - many seeking refuge from other areas of the country - are living largely under the control of jihadist group Hayat Tahrir al-Sham.
Violence has escalated in recent weeks, as the pro-regime forces struggle to make ground.
Mark Lowcock, the UN humanitarian chief, gave one of his strongest speeches to the Security Council on Tuesday.
He told them to take action to end the "bloody onslaught" in Idlib, warning that continued violence could create the worst humanitarian disaster of the 21st century.
An exasperated Mr Lowcock told council members they have ignored previous pleas to stop the bombing and shelling in Idlib province by Syrian and Russian warplanes and "done nothing for 90 days as the carnage continues in front of your eyes."
"Are you again going to shrug your shoulders ... or are you going to listen to the children of Idlib, and do something about it?" he asked.
On July 26, the UN human rights office reported that at least 450 civilians have been killed since late April, including more than a hundred in the previous two weeks.
"There is no refuge for the people of Idlib," Mr Lowcock stressed. "Hundreds of them have been killed, hundreds more injured, 440,000 of them displaced, but there is nowhere else for them to go."
Susannah Sirkin, policy director at Physicians for Human Rights, told the council that since Syria launched its offensive the organisation had received reports of 46 attacks on health care facilities. So far, she said, it has verified 16 of them.
Ms Sirkin said many health facilities in Idlib have been forced out of service and accused Syria and Russia of continuing to target them.
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!