-
Limited Israeli incursion into southern Lebanon targeting Hezbollah.. Washington confirms
-
Declaration of closed military zones and requests to evacuate residential areas reflect the seriousness of the situation and warn of the possibility of a large-scale military confrontation between Isr

In the late hours of Monday night, the Israeli army began implementing a limited ground operation in southern Lebanon, targeting Hezbollah infrastructure. This operation was accompanied by intense aircraft flyovers and heavy shelling from armored vehicles and tanks on areas in southern Lebanon.
Media reports indicated the incursion of Israeli infantry units and tanks into some southern Lebanese villages. Israeli tanks breached the village of Rmeish in southern Lebanon, amid power outages in the area, according to sources from "Al Arabiya" and "Al Hadath".
Simultaneously with these developments, the Israeli army declared "imminent strikes on Hezbollah targets in the southern suburb". The Israeli army also called for the evacuation of residents from three areas in the southern suburbs of Beirut: Laylaki, Haret Hreik, and Burj Al Barajneh.
In this context, the Israeli army spokesman, Avichay Adraee, posted a tweet on the X platform stating: "You are near Hezbollah interests and facilities, therefore the IDF will act strongly against them," adding, "For your safety and the safety of your family members, you must evacuate the buildings immediately and move away from them for a distance of no less than 500 meters."
In a notable development, the United States announced on Monday evening that Israel "is currently carrying out" limited operations inside Lebanese territory. US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller told reporters: "This is what I was informed, that they are currently carrying out limited operations targeting Hezbollah infrastructure near the border."
In a related context, Reuters reported, quoting a security source, that "the Lebanese army has withdrawn 5 kilometers from the border with Israel". It's worth noting that the last Israeli incursion into Lebanese territory was in 2006 during the Second Lebanon War with Hezbollah.
The Israeli army declared a "closed military zone" in parts of Israel's northern border with Lebanon on Monday, according to AFP. An army statement said: "The areas of Metula, Misgav Am, and Kfar Giladi in northern Israel have been declared a closed military zone. Entry to this area is prohibited."
Before the start of Israeli operations, a source in the Lebanese army reported that its forces were repositioning near the border in southern Lebanon, before the army partially withdrew from border areas in the south.
The Lebanese National News Agency reported information about "heavy artillery shelling targeting the town of Al-Wazzani", while Al-Manar channel, affiliated with Hezbollah, spoke of artillery shelling targeting the vicinity of the towns of Al-Wazzani, Sahel Al-Khiam, Alma Al-Shaab, and Naqoura on the border. Al-Wazzani and Sahel Al-Khiam are adjacent to the Metula area.
It's worth noting that areas in southern and eastern Lebanon, reaching to the southern suburb of Beirut, have been subjected to intense and unprecedented Israeli shelling since Monday, since the escalation between Hezbollah and Israel began about a year ago. This escalation has resulted in more than a thousand casualties in Lebanon according to authorities since mid-September last year.
Levant-Agencies
You May Also Like
Popular Posts
Caricature
BENEFIT AGM approves 10%...
- March 27, 2025
BENEFIT, the Kingdom’s innovator and leading company in Fintech and electronic financial transactions service, held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the company’s headquarters in the Seef District.
During the meeting, shareholders approved all items listed on the agenda, including the ratification of the minutes of the previous AGM held on 26 March 2024. The session reviewed and approved the Board’s Annual Report on the company’s activities and financial performance for the fiscal year ended 31 December 2024, and the shareholders expressed their satisfaction with the company’s operational and financial results during the reporting period.
The meeting also reviewed the Independent External Auditor’s Report on the company’s consolidated financial statements for the year ended 31 December 2024. Subsequently, the shareholders approved the audited financial statements for the fiscal year. Based on the Board’s recommendation, the shareholders approved the distribution of a cash dividend equivalent to 10% of the paid-up share capital.
Furthermore, the shareholders endorsed the allocation of a total amount of BD 172,500 as remuneration to the members of the Board for the year ended 31 December 2024, subject to prior clearance by related authorities.
The extension of the current composition of the Board was approved, which includes ten members and one CBB observer, for a further six-month term, expiring in September 2025, pending no objection from the CBB.
The meeting reviewed and approved the Corporate Governance Report for 2024, which affirmed the company’s full compliance with the corporate governance directives issued by the CBB and other applicable regulatory frameworks. The AGM absolved the Board Members of liability for any of their actions during the year ending on 31st December 2024, in accordance with the Commercial Companies Law.
In alignment with regulatory requirements, the session approved the reappointment of Ernst & Young (EY) as the company’s External Auditors for the fiscal year 2025, covering both the parent company and its subsidiaries—Sinnad and Bahrain FinTech Bay. The Board was authorised to determine the external auditors’ professional fees, subject to approval from the CBB, and the meeting concluded with a discussion of any additional issues as per Article (207) of the Commercial Companies Law.
Speaking on the company’s performance, Mr. Mohamed Al Bastaki, Chairman BENEFIT , stated: “In terms of the financial results for 2024, I am pleased to say that the year gone by has also been proved to be a success in delivering tangible results. Growth rate for 2024 was 19 per cent. Revenue for the year was BD 17 M (US$ 45.3 Million) and net profit was 2 Million ($ 5.3 Million).
Mr. Al Bastaki also announced that the Board had formally adopted a new three-year strategic roadmap to commence in 2025. The strategy encompasses a phased international expansion, optimisation of internal operations, enhanced revenue diversification, long-term sustainability initiatives, and the advancement of innovation and digital transformation initiatives across all service lines.
“I extend my sincere appreciation to the CBB for its continued support of BENEFIT and its pivotal role in fostering a stable and progressive regulatory environment for the Kingdom’s banking and financial sector—an environment that has significantly reinforced Bahrain’s standing as a leading financial hub in the region,” said Mr. Al Bastaki. “I would also like to thank our partner banks and valued customers for their trust, and our shareholders for their ongoing encouragement. The achievements of 2024 set a strong precedent, and I am confident they will serve as a foundation for yet another successful and impactful year ahead.”
Chief Executive of BENEFIT; Mr. Abdulwahed AlJanahi commented, “The year 2024 represented another pivotal chapter in BENEFIT ’s evolution. We achieved substantial progress in advancing our digital strategy across multiple sectors, while reinforcing our long-term commitment to the development of Bahrain’s financial services and payments landscape. Throughout the year, we remained firmly aligned with our objective of delivering measurable value to our shareholders, strategic partners, and customers. At the same time, we continued to play an active role in enabling Bahrain’s digital economy by introducing innovative solutions and service enhancements that directly address market needs and future opportunities.”
Mr. AlJanahi affirmed that BENEFIT has successfully developed a robust and well-integrated payment network that connects individuals and businesses across Bahrain, accelerating the adoption of emerging technologies in the banking and financial services sector and reinforcing Bahrain’s position as a growing fintech hub, and added, “Our achievements of the past year reflect a long-term vision to establish a resilient electronic payment infrastructure that supports the Kingdom’s digital economy. Key developments in 2024 included the implementation of central authentication for open banking via BENEFIT Pay”
Mr. AlJanahi concluded by thanking the Board for its strategic direction, the company’s staff for their continued dedication, and the Central Bank of Bahrain, member banks, and shareholders for their valuable partnership and confidence in the company’s long-term vision.
opinion
Report
ads
Newsletter
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!